Obama for America Launches Obama Pride: LGBT Americans for Obama
Organizing: Obama Pride: LGBT Americans for Obama is launching with trainings, planning sessions, phone banks and house parties in Pennsylvania, Colorado, Nevada, Michigan and more. Grassroots LGBT volunteers are going door to door, neighborhood by neighborhood and talking to their friends, family and co-workers.
- For more information, go to http://www.barackobama.com/lgbt.
Advancing Equality: For generations, Americans have fought to ensure everyone is treated fairly under the law and has the chance to succeed. The President is committed to continuing that tradition – that’s why he’s fought to advance equality for all Americans.
- Don’t Ask Don’t Tell: He repealed it so gay and lesbian servicemembers don’t have to hide who they are, especially as they make sacrifices to protect us.
- Hate Crimes: He signed the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr., Hate Crimes Prevention Act into law – the first federal civil rights law to include “sexual orientation” and “gender identity.”
- Marriage Equality: He affirmed his personal support for it and believes it’s wrong to prevent loving, committed couples who want to marry from doing so.
- DOMA: He believes section three is unconstitutional and directed the Justice Department to stop defending its constitutionality in court.
- Workplace Discrimination: He ordered the federal government to extend key benefits to same-sex partners of federal employees, and banned gender-identity-based workplace discrimination in the federal work force.
Mitt Romney doesn’t believe in equality for all Americans. He’d write discrimination into the Constitution to stop committed gay and lesbian couples from marrying – the first time we amended the Constitution to discriminate and deny Americans equal rights.
- He opposed repealing Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell, saying it’d be a “social experiment.”
- He opposes civil unions, putting him to the right of even President Bush. Romney supports letting states ban civil unions and discriminate against gay and lesbian Americans, stopping them from enjoying many equal rights and benefits like:
- Health insurance for their partners and kids.
- Hospital visitation rights.
- Adopting children together.
- Making emergency medical decisions for their partners.