Businesses Add Jobs; We Need To Do More To Keep Putting Americans Back To Work
Businesses created jobs for the 26th straight month in April, with President Obama continuing to lead a recovery for the middle class after inheriting the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression.
- Please see this chart showing that the President’s policies not only helped the private sector stop the free fall, but reverse the trend.
With 130,000 private-sector jobs created in April, businesses have now created more than 1 million jobs in the past five months and 4.25 million jobs over the past 26 months.
- American manufacturers are creating jobs for the first time since the late 1990s, adding more jobs last month, totaling 489,000 jobs created since January 2010.
- The unemployment rate fell to 8.1 percent, down one percentage point since last August.
While this momentum is encouraging for the middle class and small businesses, we need to do more to strengthen the economy and put Americans back to work. The President is doing everything he can to get Americans back to work, including taking executive actions when Republicans in Congress refuse to do their jobs.
The worst economic crisis since the Great Depression wasn’t created overnight, and we always knew the economy wouldn’t recover overnight. That’s why the President is:
- Holding Wall Street accountable.
- Cracking down on those who take advantage of consumers.
- Putting more money into working families’ pockets so they can fuel the recovery.
- Cutting taxes 18 times for small businesses to help them hire and grow.